If you are looking to buy a new camera, know that it will not be easy to choose the best device. There are so many devices out there that may seem to offer the same thing unless you really know what to look for. Even as a seasoned professional, it is always necessary to do market research before buying a camera because what was good a while ago may not necessarily be what sells now. This is because technology is constantly changing and new features are being added to cameras. For example, until recently 4K technology was only prevalent in digital televisions, but now there are cameras that offer recording capabilities up to UHD 4K resolution.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Camera for YouTube Recording or Vlogging
- Recording Capabilities
What is the maximum resolution in which you can record videos? Any camera capable of recording in Full HD (1080p) will be an excellent choice. However, 4K technology is now a thing in cameras and allows you to record double the resolution of a Full HD camera.
- Sound Capabilities – A YouTube camera should be more than excellent image quality. You need your viewers to hear you without straining. So make sure your camera of choice has measures in place to improve sound quality. This is normally achieved through the inclusion of a built-in microphone with noise canceling capabilities.
- Price – Money is always a factor. Sometimes to get the best quality you have to be prepared to pay a lot. But that doesn’t mean you won’t get great quality on a low budget. On the contrary, there are cameras for all budgets without really compromising on quality.
- Portability – Some cameras may be too heavy depending on the intended use. For example, a travel vlogger will always be on the move. Therefore, the camera of choice should be a lightweight device, preferably small, that can easily fit in your bag and still deliver excellent quality images.
- Lighting – A good camera must be able to offer you excellent quality even in low light. Many cameras allow you to change the settings to adapt to different lighting conditions.
- Camera function – The camera you choose depends heavily on the type of work you do. If you’re a YouTuber who makes home videos or says tutorials, you definitely won’t be using the same type of camera as another YouTuber who loves sports videos.
Which brings us to the next possibility. There are different types of cameras and each has a unique set of features that make it more suitable for a certain line of work. Read on to learn about the different types of cameras and how they fit into the type of videos you make.
Before going into more details; here’s a quick rundown of our top picks.
Last updated on 2022-03-03 at 13:12 / Affiliate links / Amazon Product Advertising API Images
Single-lens reflex digital cameras (DSLR)
These cameras offer the best quality in terms of photography and with their excellent video recording capabilities, they will be perfect for versatile vloggers looking to combine photography with vlogging. The strong point of these cameras is the possibility of changing lenses, but this is also what makes them a bit complex to handle. You will need a few lessons to gain a thorough understanding of how the lens works. But once you know how to effectively interchange the lens, you should have no problem using this camera. Also, these cameras are a bit heavy due to their large size. Something you should consider if you’re always on the go
These look a lot like the DSLR. They still have the interchangeable lenses, but the internal mirror housing, which is a key part of DSLR cameras, has been removed. This consequently leads to a significant reduction in the size which is the strong point of these devices. These cameras are a bit expensive than the DSLR, but that’s understandable as they pack similar features but in a smaller package.
Point and shoot cameras
They are also DSLR alternatives that will be perfect if you are always traveling due to their compact nature. They can’t quite match the DSLR in terms of resolution, but they still have pretty decent image quality. These cameras are really small and some can fit perfectly in your pockets.
These are cameras that can be strapped to your chest or helmet when skydiving, scuba diving, skiing, and other related sports. They are excellent for filming from first person angles and so if you are the bungee jumping type, this is the best type of camera for you. They are really small and fit your palm perfectly and deliver excellent quality video and image. Their durability is also a defining trait since they are always used in extreme conditions.
These are the perfect cameras if you specialize in home video making. They serve as an alternative to your laptop camera which we can all agree is totally useless if you are recording for YouTube. It is important to note that the level of quality of these cameras cannot match any of the items mentioned above. These will do when all else has failed, mainly because they are substantially affordable.
As you can see, there are a lot of things you need to know before buying a camera. But the most important thing is that you know what the objective of the camera is. Once that’s established, you can use our guide to figure out what the best type of camera will be. You can also check this post for a review of some of the most popular cameras among YouTubers.